April 5, 2017
We often get asked what we do as Economic Development to help businesses in our community and the easy answer to that question is that we do whatever we can to the best of our abilities. Our role as Economic Development is to connect businesses with the resources, information, and tools they need to start and grow their business. We do our best to find answers to questions, make connections to partners who can provide technical assistance, and help promote all of the incredible businesses that make our local economy vibrant and diverse.
To give some more concrete examples of the ways we can help we have put together a list of the great resources and tools available to businesses and business owners right here on our website:
- SizeUp Business Analytics can help you assess how your business stacks up against the competition.
- Space Available is our online property database that can help you find the perfect space for your business.
- Zoning Check is an important tool to help you find out where in the City you are permitted to operate your type of business (Note: if you're operating out of your home, it's best to call our office instead of using this tool).
- OpenCounter helps you understand what permits may apply to your business type and the permitting process here at the City, and can help you get a sense of the costs.
CITY INCENTIVES AND PROGRAMS:
- Commercial Signage Grant Program provides grant funds to businesses to add or improve their signage.
- Façade Improvement Program is a matching-grant program that helps businesses enhance and/or restore their storefronts.
- Green Business Certification Program can help your business go green and get to the next level of environmental responsibility.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS:
- Opportunity Fund Micro-Loan provides small loans to businesses to get them the little bit of capital they may need to get things started
- Grow Santa Cruz SBA Loans are available to Santa Cruz businesses. This program provides growth capital with advantageous terms.
If you have any questions about these resources or how we can help you, please don't hesitate to contact us by phone (831-420-5157), email, or visiting us in person at our office, the little green house at 337 Locust Street.